Well done, you’ve come a long way!
Before we get to “what’s not working”, let’s take a moment to appreciate everything you’ve achieved so far – it’s more than most businesses owners ever manage to do. Your hard work will pay off, as long as you keep learning new ways to differentiate and uplift your brand.
You’re probably aware that something’s not quite right in your branding, but you can’t put your finger on it. You’re eating up all the DIY tutorials and may be happy with your results for awhile, but later you realize this is still not it. Maybe you’ve even commissioned a logo on Fiverr, thinking that at least you’ll get some semblance of professionalism.
This is what I call the “scrapbook approach” to branding. You’re lifting bits and pieces from all around, customizing templates, experimenting with your own aesthetic choices, and it results in a mishmash of different influences that may not work together very well. The scrapbook brand sends a mixed message and confuses your potential clients.
The correct approach to branding is to get to the core of what makes your business different, and build an entire library of visual assets around this idea.
I’m not talking just about the logo here. All the visuals that the client sees from the very first time they encounter your content, to the sales process, your onboarding process, your service delivery, and your invoicing, needs to tell a coherent story and reinforce the trust they have in you as an expert.
What to read next
My book “The Human Centered Brand” teaches you how to create a magnetic brand and promote your business with clarity, ease, and authenticity. It’s a self-study class packed in a book, perfect for business owners who are on a tight budget, or preparing to invest in a professional brand. Download the free chapter and the worksheets see if this approach resonates with you at humancenteredbrand.com
Here are some free articles that I recommend in your current stage:
- Branding is a journey, not a one-off project
- Struggling with your brand strategy? Start here.
- Rebranding 101: Why & how to update your existing brand
- Is your business a bargain bin brand?
- Improve your business & brand with a client journey map
- My logo & brand identity design process explained
- The difference between the $100 logos, $1.000 logos and $10.000 logos
- Is your logo sending the right message?
- Branding guidelines (style guides) demystified
- 26 creative ways to share your individuality online
- How to make an impression at a big in-person event
- The vital elements of a premium brand
- 7 ways a logo can make your business better
- Avoid panic: Start looking for a designer before you need one
- Consistency in visual branding shouldn’t be boring
- Dream Clients: Myth or Reality?
Share your result!
I’m in Stage 2: The Chrysalis. What stage is your #brand in? Take this quiz to find out: http://neladunato.com.hr/branding-quiz/
(You can change the message text before you post.)